Research Report

 

Credit: Library.artstor.org

In this project, I learned about someone who managed to give me a hard time even though he is dead. Michel De Montaigne, who out of nowhere decided to invent an essay. I would say f*** you to him as essays are my least favorite thing in the world but he amazed me. Based on my research, people say that they admire his essays as when they read them, they feel like an old friend is writing to them. His philosophical ideas could be relatable to anyone’s life. His work influenced a lot of artists such as William Shakespeare and his face is still being used for many advertisements. McLuhan used Montaigne’s quote “the thing of it is, we must live the living” to support his idea that “the attempt to do a job demanded by the new environment with the tools of the old” is a huge problem. However, after further research on Montaigne, I do not think that’s what he meant. Montaigne’s essays are focused on what already happened and the things he observed. Personally, I feel like what he meant by “live with the living” is that we need to live on things that are already existing. For me, since the past is always going to be a memory it means that it will always live. Montaigne did not only write his essays for the people in his generation, he intended to influence and teach the future generations. 

Comments

  1. Wonderful presentation! I also hate that he invented the essay. But I feel like for him it was a form of artistic expression, whereas we're forced to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time and Motion

Diagram

Color