Gina Adams Reflection


 Gina Adams is indeed a phenomenal artist. You can hear the compassion she has for these events. I was excited when I heard quilts are part of her art. What stood up to me most is that her quilts are not just fabric. Rather, they were filled with lessons, history, and awareness. I like that the letters she used are from broken treaties. I also like the fact that some of the messages in her quilts are very hard to read. It makes me dig deeper and think harder of what she wants us to learn from her art piece. I admire artists who don’t let their status in life and their experiences in life stop them from creating something they believe in. Gina Adams, has inherited trauma but that did not stop her to use her art and educate people around her. “When two seemingly disparate elements are imaginatively poised, put in a position in new and unique ways, startling discoveries result” (McLuhan, p.10). I thought this quote described Adams’ quilts so well. Two different element-quilt and history, never thought of them together but the results is amazing and the messages it conveys. 

Comments

  1. I agree, I do like how some of the letters on her quilts are harder to read. It forces the viewer to dig deeper and think more critically about the piece. Great choice of quote as well! Two seemingly different and quite unexpected elements come together to create such a powerful work of art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time and Motion

Diagram

Color