Time and Motion

For this week topic, I decided to make a collage to show the movements of the photograph I took two summers ago. As Lupton says  “A motion sequence is developed through a series of storyboards, which convey the main phases and movements of  an animation” (Lupton 233),  so I thought I would use collage as my storyboard. 

Short story: Before these action images were taken, the first guy in the photograph challenged our other two friends to jump with him. As shown in the images, they accepted the challenge. However, the guy who challenged the other guys did not jump as he was “afraid” and you can see that at end of my storyboard. 


I thought these images would be perfect to relate to the storyboards and animating type that Lupton discussed in the book. In this collage, I had to make sure that I was putting the right images on the right boxes so that timing and motion will match the next image. I did agree when Lupton talked about how slow timing might be a drag for the audience and I do feel like I did not have to put 12 images in this collage to show the motion that is about to happen. However, I did not only wanted to show the motion that the guys did I also wanted to show how the trees, the water, the sun change throughout these images. I put more images than necessary because I was amazed at how in such a little time different motions can happen. In terms of storyboards, I have to admit, it took me at least 2 hours of organizing the images before putting this out there. As Lupton stated, “motion can be a labor-intensive, must plan carefully every aspect of a piece before production begins” (244). The collage might look simple but the process of making sure the motion and the story go smoothly is not. Deciding whether it will be too many images or whether to omit certain motion was a time consuming for me. Nevertheless, I thought the storyboard idea summarized the highlight of that event. 


Excerpts: Lupton “Graphic Design: The New Basiccs” 2015 





Comments

  1. I love the progression of motion in this storyboard! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the slow motion feeling here is cool as it allows us to notice the subtle changes. Also, whether intentional or not, I find it interesting that you created such a strong border between each frame because it really individualizes each photo rather than letting them flow into each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I love your storyboard. That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a good job at storyboard! It is true that organizing images is a work that wasting a lot of time.🤣

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diagram

Tatera’s Talk Reflection