Framing

 Hi all, since I was in a road trip with my dog(Squeaky) today, I decided to relate the photograph I took of him today to the topic of framing. To be honest, I love to take pictures, however, I do struggle with framing as I tend to only care what is in front of me and disregard the background of the thing/person I am capturing. Today, I tried to pay extra attention to framing my photographs of squeaky. Surprisingly, framing do shows the meaning and impact of an images   just like what Lupton stated (Lupton, 117). 

The image on top you only have Squeaky to focus on due to how I decided to frame it. I took this photo to show the difference when you pay attention to framing your photograph. This photo, since I focused it to squeaky and the photo is almost symmetrical, I’m asking my audience to really focus on him. However, without mentioning it in the beginning, do you know where he is? Most likely not because this framing limits the audience on what details they should know or see. Well, let see if you can tell or see more details when Squeaky is not in the middle of the photograph. In the bottom image, I shifted Squeaky to the left and had more pieces of the car. With this framing, I want the audience to not only focus on my Squeaky but to also know where he is and also gives you idea whether he’s a big dog or a small dog. Also, if you look at the handle on the car door, it serves as a visible line that guides my audience on where and what they should be focusing on. Framing also give the audience the idea of what’s important in the photograph they are observing. If you notice the image on top, Squeaky is the biggest one in the photograph signifying that he’s the only important subject in the photograph. Whereas in the bottom image, Squeaky isn’t as big, rather, it has balance size proportion between Squeaky and the car which leads the audience to know that Squeaky and where he is are both equally significant in this particular photograph. 


Excerpts: Lupton “Graphic Design: The New Basic” 2015 

Comments

  1. I like your framing in taking picture for your dog! It looks like an art work that can be put in the Photography Exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you played with the orientation of your dog in each of the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time and Motion

Diagram

Color